Drainergy:: Drainpipe Heat Exchangers can substantially reduce the climate-changing waste of energy that results from our daily hot water use. All of the perennial problems associated with this enormous waste of energy have now been solved.
Drainergy:: is heat recovery from a building's used hot drainwater. The recovered heat is used to pre-heat, for free, the cold water supply for any type hot water heater - gas, electric, tankless or solar. Pre-heating saves money, energy and the environment by simply shortening the 'on' time of the heater which significantly reduces energy use and also its size and cost.
The problems Drainergy:: designs overcome include:
1. cost effective performance through reduced use of expensive copper but greater surface contact area for increased heat transfer;
2. installation flexibility, in both new and existing buildings;
3. heat recovery at all times from all sources with available built-in heat storage;
4. vertical and horizontal operation. Horizontal installations require as little as 3'' clearance;
5. installation can be made on existing metallic drainpipes even while they remain in full operation. No modifications to the drainage plumbing are required.
6. full wall coverage by the drainwater on vertical models using our simple non-blocking FlowFeed:: inlet adaptor, further raises performance.
Heating our daily hot water is one of the largest single uses of energy, all of which is then wasted to the sewers. As well, due to the common-times-of-day of hot water use, heating hot water drives up peak power demand due to millions of large electric heater elements being 'on' together. Fuel-based water heaters also operate simultaneously creating enormous clouds of exhaust that results in city smog.